Clock on ubuntu desktop

Since my upgrade from ubuntu 12.04 LTS to ubuntu 14.04 LTS I got some troubles with my clock. It didn’t showed up if I wanted to see the date.

Read the rest of this entry »


eid reader on ubuntu

Recently I tried to get my eid-reader working because I wanted to fill my taxes. My card reader seemed to be broken but even a new one didn’t want to work. It took me while to get it working so these are my steps. Maybe there are other people out there which can use this hints.
Read the rest of this entry »


Making network names persistent after cloning

It’s been a while since I started wondering if it’s possible to make network names persistent after cloning a Debian system and re-initializing the MAC address. I know how to do it on SLES10 but I never did it on Debian. So started searching.
Read the rest of this entry »


Adding cacert certificate to dovecot

I’ve been playing with certificates for a while so the time was right to install official certificates from cacert.org Here’s how I did it. It’s mostly based on what I found on the simple apache certificate wiki
Read the rest of this entry »


Postfix trouble sending to gmail

A while I ago my server at hetzner started having trouble sending mail to gmail accounts so I asked the world if there was someone out there with the same problem. Someone told me gmail has some random problems using ipv6 but mine didn’t looked very random.

The message I got in return said:

    gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[2a00:1450:4001:c02::1b] said: 550-5.7.1
    [2a01:4f8:d13:3c03::C0:FF:EE] Our system has detected an unusual rate
    550-5.7.1 of unsolicited mail originating from your IP address. To protect
    our 550-5.7.1 users from spam, mail sent from your IP address has been
    blocked. 550-5.7.1 Please visit
    http://www.google.com/mail/help/bulk_mail.html to review 550 5.7.1 our Bulk
    Email Senders Guidelines. v46si12358een.61 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA
    command)

So I started searching to find out what went wrong. First I expected to find some strange processes on my system but I couldn’t find any I didn’t wanted to start. Even my postfix logging didn’t showed anything unusual so I started wondering if gmail wasn’t wrong about their message.  But even the click here for more help brought me back to the startpage.

To be really really sure their wasn’t anything wrong, I did two thing:

  • I started tcpdump to log all traffic going out on ipv6 on smtp
  • I waited, expecting gmail to finally allow my server sending mail to their server

But it didn’t help: there was no strange traffic and gmail still didn’t allow me. On the page gmail was pointing to in their error message they give you some hints when sending out bulk mail. Although I wasn’t doing naughty stuff, I checked their points.
One of the things they tell is Keep valid reverse DNS records so I verified mine. Finally I discovered my AAAA record wasn’t correct (anymore?). After correcting this and waiting for DNS propagation, I could finally send messages again to gmail accounts. So I’m a happy penguin again.


Sending mail using postfix on macosx

Yet again it’s a while since my last post here although I had the intention to post more nerdstuff over here. But it just looks like I didn’t had enough news to post here. This one won’t be big either. It’s ratter a thank you.
Read the rest of this entry »


Fixing ipv6 issues

Yesterday I discoverd my ipv6 wasn’t working anymore. My outgoing ipv6 connections got blocked when sending a sync so we needed some fixing. I’m really a big wizard in reading iptables but a nerd has to do what a nerd has to do.

My setup is based on a tunnel from tunnelbroker. My slug which runs openwrt creates the tunnel. Other systems use my slug as the ipv6 gateway. Don’t worry, it does more than only creating my tunnel.

Searching on what was going wrong with my ipv6 firewall, I noticed that only the SYN packets passed through the firewall. All responses and other related messages got blocket. While googling around to find more about ip6tables, I arrived back at the tunnelbroker website.

I dicided to check out if I didn’t made any mistakes on the addresses. There wasn’t any but when clicking on “example configuration” I found out there also was an example for openwrt backfire 10.03.1. Horay!

The only issue I had concerned the firewall setting. Earlier I removed the ‘wan’ section from the firewall as it wasn’t needed for ipv4. Missing that section, the command uci set firewall.@zone[1].network='wan henet' failed. Adding the wan zone again from /rom/etc/config/firewall it worked like a charm. Configuring the firewall using the webinterface and testing it using the tunnelbroker tools make me happy again.

Thanks again openwrt and tunnelbroker for the nice work!