Fixing ipv6 issues

Yesterday I discoverd my ipv6 wasn’t working anymore. My outgoing ipv6 connections got blocked when sending a sync so we needed some fixing. I’m really a big wizard in reading iptables but a nerd has to do what a nerd has to do.

My setup is based on a tunnel from tunnelbroker. My slug which runs openwrt creates the tunnel. Other systems use my slug as the ipv6 gateway. Don’t worry, it does more than only creating my tunnel.

Searching on what was going wrong with my ipv6 firewall, I noticed that only the SYN packets passed through the firewall. All responses and other related messages got blocket. While googling around to find more about ip6tables, I arrived back at the tunnelbroker website.

I dicided to check out if I didn’t made any mistakes on the addresses. There wasn’t any but when clicking on “example configuration” I found out there also was an example for openwrt backfire 10.03.1. Horay!

The only issue I had concerned the firewall setting. Earlier I removed the ‘wan’ section from the firewall as it wasn’t needed for ipv4. Missing that section, the command uci set firewall.@zone[1].network='wan henet' failed. Adding the wan zone again from /rom/etc/config/firewall it worked like a charm. Configuring the firewall using the webinterface and testing it using the tunnelbroker tools make me happy again.

Thanks again openwrt and tunnelbroker for the nice work!